JUDGES CLOSING DOWN WEBSITES EXPOSING THEIR CRIMINALITY
|JUDGES SHUTTING DOWN WEBSITES EXPOSING THEIR CRIMES
NEWS FLASH:: GEOFFREY SCRIVEN (Litigants in person Society) RELEASED
YESTERDAY ON BAIL AFTER FAILING TO ATTEND TWO COURT APPEARANCES AT TWO
SEPARATE COURTS AT EXACTLY THE SAME TIME.
Prevent the public from even discussing publicly how judges behave
The legal system in the UK will stop at nothing to prevent the public
from even discussing publicly how judges behave. Here's a press report
which is self-explanatory :
Irvine closes down 'anti-judge' website
The Lord Chancellor, Lord Irvine of Lairg, has shut down a website
because it was being used to criticise judges.
The case has serious implications for freedom of expression on the
internet and the extent of government influence over the world wide
In an open letter written to Lord Irvine, and published on the
internet, James Hulbert, 67, from Hull, identified five judges who had
presided over a series of cases in which Mr Hulbert claims he was
Last week the Lord Chancellor's department wrote to Mr Hulbert's local
service provider describing the material as "offensive" and asked the
company to pull the plug. Kingston Internet Webmaster then closed down
the site, saying the material contravened the company's terms and
conditions. But Mr Hulbert said he was merely asserting his right of
self-expression following what he describes as his outrageous treatment
at the hands of the courts and the police.
Mr Hulbert and his wife were arrested in 1991 after a taxi driver
complained that Mr Hulbert had not paid his full fare. After a trial in
Hull he was acquitted of deception and assaulting a police officer. Mr
Hulbert and his wife then brought a case of false imprisonment and
assault against the police. It was settled when the police paid the
On his website Mr Hulbert gave a detailed account of his nine-year
battle to get the courts to admit that some of the evidence against him
in his original trial was fabricated. His attempt to sue the judge and
shorthand writer has been struck out by another court and he has lost
all his subsequent appeals. Since the start of the case, Mr Hulbert,
now retired, has suffered heart attacks which he says were brought on
by the stress of the case.
He said: "This case has completely changed my life. I can't believe
this has happened to me and I just want justice."
Following last week's intervention by the Lord Chancellor, Mr Hulbert
has written to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg,
alleging that his human rights have been contravened.
His case also raises a number of issues regarding the policing of the
internet. The internet was originally intended to be outside the law.
But a number of recent cases have shown that the internet is very much
subject to national laws and several websites have been closed down.
Geoffrey Scriven, of the Litigants in Person Society, which campaigns
for fair trials, said the case also raised serious questions about the
power of the Lord Chancellor. Mr Scriven said this was yet another
example of the "Lord Chancellor throwing his weight around".
However, under article10 of the European Convention of Human Rights the
reputations of judges are protected and Mr Hulbert must show that the
decision to shut down his site was disproportionate to the impact of
the site's contents. Many civil rights groups are concerned at the
weakness of so called independent service providers in face of
John Wadham, Director of Liberty, said: "We are concerned about the way
in which some internet service providers feel forced to surrender and
are therefore restricting freedom of speech."
A spokesman for the Lord Chancellor's Department confirmed that the
department had written to the service provider alerting the company to
the "offensive" material.
The Independent on Sunday of 7 November 1999.