James Lloyd serial rapist and mason

Shoe rapist - the hunt for more victims

A SOUTH Yorkshire man who admitted to being the notorious "shoe rapist" may have many more victims who have yet to come forward to police. Officers were today gearing up for phone calls from other possible rape victims who may have suffered at the hands of James Desmond Lloyd. The 49-year-old from Thurnscoe yesterday admitted being the serial sex attacker who struck across South Yorkshire in the early to mid -1980s, stealing shoes from his victims as trophies of his crimes. He pleaded guilty to four rapes and two attempted rapes at Sheffield Crown Court. Detectives say they believe more women could now come forward after seeing reports of Lloyd's conviction and publication of photos of the rapist who terrorised South Yorkshire women for three-and-a-half years.

When police raided Lloyd's workplace, Dearne Valley Printers in Wath, they found a stash of about 100 shoes hidden behind a secret trap door. They also discovered a hoard of stockings and tights and a pile of porn magazines, some dedicated to shoe fetishism. Among the shoes were those belonging to his known victims, along with jewellery which the former typesetter took from victims. Detectives say they cannot rule out the possibility that some of the shoes and stockings may have come from other victims who failed to report their sex attacks at the time. Today they vowed to fully investigate any new allegations.

Detective Inspector Angie Wright, who led the investigation, said: "As far as we are aware, based on allegations of rape made, his last offence was in 1986. "There may well be other women who have not come forward, because some of the shoes taken were identified by women as those stolen when they were attacked. "There were over 100 shoes. He could well have more victims out there. "At the time of the rapes he was known as the Dearne Valley 'shoe rapist' because after each attack he stole his victim's shoes. The implication is that he kept these shoes as trophies.

"Some of those found were brand new, others had clearly been worn." Lloyd admitted he began his sickening crime spree in February 1983, striking again in December 1983, twice in October 1984, and again in December 1984 and August 1986. DI Wright said his crimes increased in seriousness every time he struck. His ritualistic method was always the same, approaching women from behind if he spotted them walking home alone late at night. He would tell them he wanted their money, before dragging them into a secluded spot and tying them up and gagging them with tights or stockings with which he often had with him. Then he would rape them. Each attack was more brutal than the one before, and the last time he struck he produced a knife to terrify his victim. All but one of his victims are still alive today. Some of them sat in the public gallery yesterday to see Lloyd finally admit to his offences dating back more than 20 years. Some stared at him throughout the hearing, but others could barely bring themselves to look at their attacker.

18 July 2006